Mr. Kobe Bistline School Counselor (Last Names A-Go) kobe.bistline@donegalsd.org (717) 492-1207

Mrs. Devon Springer School Counselor (Last Names Gr-M) devon.springer@donegalsd.org (717) 492-1208

Mr. William Rosengrant School Counselor (Last Names N-Z) william.rosengrant@donegalsd.org (717) 492-1204

Ms. Tatiana Dueno

School Social Worker

(717) 492-1213 tatiana.dueno@donegalsd.org

Mrs. Tracy Donnelly Counseling Department Secretary tracy.donnelly@donegalsd.org (717) 492-1205

Mr. Parker Niles

College Adviser


(717) 492-1228

DHS Zen Den


2 months ago

Graduation Requirements

Beginning with the class of 2022 and beyond, to receive a Donegal High School diploma, a student must successfully complete a minimum number of courses during grades 9,10,11,12 as outlined below:                                                                                                                                                                                                          

SUBJECT AREAS                                 CREDITS                                                                             

English*                                                 4.0
Mathematics*                                       4.0
Science*                                                 3.0     
Social Studies*                                      4.0
Fitness                                                    1.5                                                           
Wellness 10 & 11                                  1.0
Informational Literacy**                     0.5                                                                           
Personal Finance         **                     1.0
Arts & Humanities and Electives***  5.0                                                                                                                  

TOTAL                                                     24                                                                                

Graduation requirements are modified for students attending full year CTC programs during their 12th grade year. 

* Must include required courses per items above and check department course descriptions.

** Informational Literary is required to be taken in 9th grade and Personal Finance is required to be taken in 11th grade       

***Courses that satisfy the Arts and Humanities 2 credit requirements may be selected from the following areas:             
English (beyond the four required units)                                                     
Social Studies (beyond the four required units)                               
World Language

*** All courses beyond the required courses are considered electives.


2 months ago

There are many informative resources to help students with their career preparation and planning. Some of these resources are online, and some can be found in the Counseling Office.
Xello is an online assessment and exploration tool which will assist students in determining which careers match up with their interests, skills and values. The site provides students with information about almost every career available to them! Job descriptions, working conditions, earnings, and job outlook are among some of the information given. There are also interviews with professionals who describe what it's like to work in their particular career.
There are other excellent resources which can be found online. 
The Counseling Department also has hundreds of books and various other resources in the Counseling Office that will assist students in learning about the various careers available to them. If students would like one-on-one assistance in developing career goals, they should make an appointment to see their counselor.


2 months ago

Obtaining Applications


Where do I get an application?  

Colleges and universities maintain internet websites that allow users to request, download, or print information and applications. Most institutions offer online applications, and many prefer that students apply directly through the website, with application fees charged to major credit cards. For most schools, you may also opt to submit a paper application.

Do I need to send my transcript?  

Official transcripts and other supporting documents, as described in the Submitting Applications section below, are required and usually must be forwarded by regular mail to the college or university. Because we do not know when you apply online, please make sure to visit the Counseling Office after you have submitted your application online and request that your transcript be mailed.


How can I get more information from a college?  

Admissions offices accept email and telephone requests for information and materials, and many provide toll-free numbers.


What are College Fairs?  

College fairs provide good opportunities to obtain applications and other information directly from representatives. Please contact the DHS Counseling Office for information about any local college fairs.


What is the Common Application?

This term refers to a universal, or "Common Application", used by many colleges and universities across the country. This application only needs to be completed once and can then be submitted to multiple colleges/universities. Not all colleges and universities participate in the "Common Application", so confirm a school's acceptance of the "Common Application" before submitting it. Visit http://www.commonapp.org for a list of schools that accept this application.

Submitting Applications
Who should complete the college application?  

Students ( not parents) should complete applications and double-check the accuracy of all application information with parents before either bringing paper applications to the Counseling Office or submitting applications online. In general, paper application forms do not need to be typed, but neatness always counts! Print neatly, in black ink (unless otherwise specified), and don't forget to sign and date each application; a parent usually must also sign if the applicant is not yet 18 years of age.

After I complete the application, what do I do next?  

If you complete a paper application, please bring the application directly to the Counseling Office and give it to one of the counselors or to the secretary. If you are submitting your application online, please come to the Counseling Office and request that your transcript be sent through the mail.


What else should I bring to the Counseling Office with my paper application?  

All attachments, including application fee checks, should be submitted with the paper application so the application and supporting materials may be mailed as a packet and arrive together at the intended college. Be sure to alert the counselor or secretary to each school's deadline for receiving applications!


What is on my transcript?  

Transcripts mailed with applications are official (that is, imprinted with the school seal) and include: SAT scores received by DHS to date, the most recent class rank and grade point average, final course grades and credits earned since entering ninth grade, and high school activities reported by the student in previous years. Official transcripts cannot be hand-carried or hand-delivered by students or parents to intended recipients .


What about letters of recommendation? Do I need them?

Letters of recommendation should be brought to the Counseling Office if you want them to be mailed with applications. If you are seeking recommendations from teachers, advisors, coaches, counselors, or administrators, be sure to give them plenty of advance notice when asking for the letters. Some colleges require letters of recommendation and some only recommend them, so be sure to read the application carefully.


Do I have to write an essay?  

Personal essays or autobiographical statements are required on some college applications and are optional on others. Even when optional, they represent important opportunities to favorably impress an admissions committee, especially if an interview has not been possible. If you include supplemental or separate pages, be certain they are neat, clean, and legible, and that each extra attachment contains your name; it is also helpful to clearly label the content or purpose of such extra pages.


Can I submit my application late?

Adhere to application deadlines and submit materials early ! Applications should never be brought to the Counseling Office on the day they are due. Submit all materials well in advance of postmark deadlines and inform the counselor or secretary of deadline dates at submission!


How will I know if the college has received my application and other materials?

A record is maintained in the Counseling Office of transcript mailings for each student, including the name and address of the intended recipient, date the transcript was sent, and the date of acceptance (when applicable). A stamped and pre-addressed confirmation postcard is mailed with transcripts/applications for return to Donegal High School by the college upon receipt of the transcript and accompanying materials.


Now that I've applied, I can relax and take it easy for the rest of my senior year, right?

No, keep those grades up! Many colleges request mid-year grades. When colleges inform students that their mid-year grades are needed, students should notify the Counseling Office immediately so this important information can be sent as soon as it is available. After the final grades are posted for the Fall Semester, the cumulative GPA and Class Rank are re-calculated for each grade level. As soon as the revised mid-year GPA and Class Rank are available, they are recorded as the official rank and average on student applications, transcripts, and supporting documents.




College Visits

The Office should be informed of all college visitations (tours and/or interviews) prior to each college visit. This is the procedure that should be followed :
  1. Prior to a scheduled visitation , you must complete a "Request For College Visitation" form. Copies can be obtained from the Main Office, the Attendance Secretary or the Counseling Office. This form must be completed, signed by a parent, and returned to the office to be approved by the principal or assistant principal.
  2. You must have a parent accompany you on the college visitation.
  3. While on the visit, you will have a college representative sign a form indicating that you visited on that particular day.
  4. When you return to school, the form signed by the college representative must be returned to the Attendance Secretary so that the absence is considered "excused".
  5. Students are permitted to be excused up to three (3) days during their junior year and three (3) days during their senior year for college visitations.



College Admissions Testing


How do I know which tests I need to take?

As you consider potential colleges, you should determine which admissions tests are required by those schools. Tests should be taken at least six weeks prior to the application deadline of a school requiring the score.


Do I need to take both the SAT and the ACT?

Most schools in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States prefer the College Board's SAT in evaluating a student's potential for success in college. Many schools in the Western U.S. prefer the ACT (American College Testing) program. Some colleges require one test over the other. On-line registration is preferred for these tests and may be accessed through each testing organization's web address:

SAT: http://www.collegeboard.org                     
ACT: http://www.act.org



What are the SAT Subject Tests?

A number of schools also require the College Board's SAT Subject Tests (formerly called the SAT II). Results from these tests may be used in making admissions decisions, but generally are used in placing accepted students at appropriate levels in the school's curriculum. Pay special attention to testing requirements of each school you consider!


How do I register for the SAT?

SAT test dates and registration deadlines are listed on the College Board's website. The test is offered on a Saturday at local high schools. Donegal High School also participates in SAT School Day, which allows students to take the SAT during the regular school day. 


What is Donegal's CEEB code?

Students must include Donegal High School 's CEEB Code Number (392795) when they register for the SAT in order for their scores to be reported to us and posted on their transcripts.


What should I do when I have been accepted by a college?

Students should notify the Counseling Office when they have been informed of admissions decisions by the colleges to which they have applied. We share your excitement about acceptances, want to lobby for you when your application is put on hold or if a decision is deferred, and certainly want to support you if you are not admitted. When you decide which offer of admission to accept, your commitment to that college should be reported to the Counseling Office so your final transcript can be mailed in June.


Should I notify all of the colleges I applied to if I have accepted admission somewhere else?

As a courtesy to the other colleges where applications have been sent (and to the candidates who may be on waiting lists for those colleges!), you should notify each school of your intentions when a commitment has been made to another school.

Financial Aid

What is FAFSA?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. There are 3 types of aid available; free money, borrowed money, and earned money. Free money is based on need and does not need to be paid back. Borrowed money must be repaid with interest. Earned money is aid that is obtained through working a job which is coordinated by the college or university.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

To be eligible for financial aid students must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, must have a high school diploma or equivalent, must not be in default on any other education loans, and males between the ages of 18-25 applying for FAFSA must register for selective service.

When is the deadline for financial aid applications?

Students can begin to apply for financial aid for the upcoming award year on October 1st during their senior year of high school. Colleges and universities have varying deadlines to apply by. Check the financial aid website of your prospective schools for those deadlines.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Visit studentaid.gov to begin your application.

What documents do I need to apply for financial aid?

If students are not filing as independent, they will need the following information from their parents as well.

1.     Social Security Number

2.     Driver’s License (student only and optional)

3.     Alien Registration Number or Permanent Resident Card (for non-U.S. citizens)

4.     Federal Income Tax Returns and schedules, W-2 Forms from all employers

5.     Current Bank Statements (checking and savings)

6.     Current Business and Farm Records (if applicable)

7.     Records of Any Stocks, Bonds, or Other Investments Including 529 Accounts for All Students

8.     Additional Untaxed Income Records

9.     Federal Student Aid Account


2 months ago

Students who want to play a sport at any NCAA Division I or II university as a freshman must register and be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center.

All student-athletes must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to making any official school visits or receiving a written offer of athletically related financial aid. It is recommended that students register at the beginning of their junior year of high school.

There is a fee to register, and fee waivers are available to those who qualify.

Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center at www.eligibilitycenter.org

After your NCAA Eligibility Center account is created, STUDENTS can send their SAT or ACT scores directly to the NCAA from their College Board or ACT account using code: 9999.

Please contact Mr. Rosengrant with any questions regarding NCAA Eligibility at (717) 492-1204. 


2 months ago

Donegal High School's student assistance program is called CARES. 

CARES is an acronym that stands for Committee to Assist and Refer Students. CARES is a multi-disciplinary team composed of school personnel (teachers, staff, administrators, nurses, and counselors). This team has been trained to understand and identify students who are having problems in school because of chemical use/abuse, depression/anxiety, grief, or other related factors that affect the student's ability to learn or succeed in the classroom. CARES serves as an intervention and referral program to aid students in overcoming these barriers. The team does not diagnose or treat mental health or drug/alcohol disorders. 

Students may be referred to CARES by:

1. Self referral

2. Peer referral

3. Faculty/staff referral

4. Parent referral 

All referrals are kept confidential. For more information about this committee, please see your school counselor.


2 months ago


The SAT is the most widely used college admissions test in the United States. If you are a student planning to apply to college, you may want to take the SAT. Most colleges are now test-optional but some may require SAT scores. It is recommended that students take the SAT in their junior year. Some students will take the test again at the beginning of their senior year. 
There are two options: SAT School Day or the standard SAT administration given on a Saturday. Donegal High School offers the SAT School Day option two times a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Although Donegal High School is not a Saturday testing center, there are several local schools that do offer the test. To find test dates, locations, and test fees, or to register for a Saturday test, visit the The College Board's website. https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/registration/dates-deadlines 
 SAT score results are sent directly to students.


The PSAT is sometimes known as a "Practice SAT". Students who are in 11th grade and are planning to take the SAT are encouraged to take the PSAT. The test is offered at Donegal High School in October and there is a small fee to take the test. Information about the test, as well as registration forms, are given to students in school (usually at the beginning of September). Registration is done through the Counseling & Career Center (not the College Board website). Students who take the PSAT in 10th grade may take the test again in 11th grade.  The National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT) is the official route of entry to the National Merit Scholarship program. PSAT score report results are available on the student's College Board Account about a month after the test.


PSAT 10 is an option offered to all sophomore students at Donegal High School every spring. Students are not required to take this test. Students must register by the deadline, and there is no cost to the student. Students are notified by College Board when their test results are available on their College Board Account. 


The ACT is another college admissions test similar to the SAT. Although the test may not be as widely used as the SAT, it is recognized by most college admissions departments. Test dates and locations, as well as registration and fee information, can be found on ACT's website. https://www.act.org/


AP, or Advanced Placement, testing is an option for students enrolled in any of Donegal High School's AP courses. The AP tests are typically offered in May during the school day. Information about these tests, as well as registration materials, will be given to students at school. The AP tests can possibly offer the opportunity for students to earn college credit or advanced standing in college. This opportunity depends on the score earned by the student and the various colleges' policies for AP credit. Students should check with their intended college to see if/how they will accept AP credit.

**Students who wish to take an AP exam for which DHS does not offer an AP course should see their counselor.


2 months ago

Current students can request a DHS transcript electronically, from your Chromebook on the Student Portal page. 

*** If you graduated from Donegal prior to 2018, we request a $2.00 transcript fee to assist in defraying the postage and handling fee.  Please make checks payable to "Donegal High School" and mailed to:  "DHS Career Resource Center, 1025 Koser Road, Mount Joy, PA 17552."  Upon receipt of your request and/or fee, we will promptly expedite your request.

Donegal High School graduates can request transcripts by phone or fax. For telephone requests, contact Mrs. Tracy Donnelly at 717-492-1209 or email your request to tracy.donnelly@donegalsd.org.  Please leave your name, year of graduation, date of birth and the school you would like your transcript mailed to.  Please email your telephone number where you can be reached (just in case we have any questions). You may also fax your request to (717) 492-1242. 

Most colleges will ask to receive an Official Transcript. An official transcript contains the school seal, a signature from your school counselor, and is prepared on school district letterhead and mailed directly from the high school to the college/university. 

An Unofficial Transcript  may also be requested for your use to help you complete college and/or scholarship applications. This transcript will not have a seal or signature, so you should not be sending this to colleges (because it is not considered to be official). 


19 days ago

Partnership for Access to Higher Education (PHEAA)

When students receive funding from PHEAA, they may also be considered for the PATH program, which provides supplemental grant funding to students demonstrating need.


Susquehanna Valley Umpire Association 
Girls Softball Scholarship

The purpose of this scholarship is to provide a one-time $1,0000 scholarship to two senior high school varsity softball players who participated in the youth Lancaster County Girls Softball League (formerly the Donegal Rheems Girls Softball League) and continued playing high school softball through her senior year.
Scholarship eligibility requirements, application deadline, and mailing instructions are outlined in the application.

***Completed applications must be post-marked by March 15, 2024 and mailed to:
SVUA Scholarship Committee
C/O D. Hershey
3469 Back Run Road
Manheim, PA  17545

PA American Legion 89th Annual Essay Contest

Any student enrolled in grades 9 through 12 in a public, private or parochial, cyber school in Pennsylvania is eligible to participate.  

Students MUST prepare essays without assistance and provide a statement to that effect on the last page.  (See winning essay's sample)

BEFORE JANUARY 9, 2024, STUDENTS must submit their Essays to a LOCAL AMERICAN POST.  Each high school may select one winner for each American Legion Post in their school district.  To locate a post near you, go to www.legion.org & click on find a local post and enter your zip code.

Click Here for More Information:

PA American Legion - High School Oratorical Scholarship Program

Student must submit an application to a local Post for sponsorship by December 3, 2023.  A local Post can be found at www.legion.org.  Click below for pamphlet. 

Click Here for More Information:

Lieutenant Robert B. Ritchie 

     Memorial Scholarship

Applicants must:

Applicants must be seniors or graduates from a public high school in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

Applicants must demonstrate financial need.

Applicants must attend full-time any accredited, public or private, two-year or four-year college, university, or technical college located in the United States in any field of study leading to a degree. 

Additional Desired Qualifications:

A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

Demonstrated patriotism and leadership.

Nomination by the guidance office at the applicant's high school.

In-person interview with the Selection Committee.

Scholarship specifics

This scholarship is for one year only; however, current recipients may reapply and be considered for additional funding along with other new applicants. Scholarship recipients must be enrolled full-time.


To be considered for a scholarship, applications and all supporting documentation must be received by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time on February 15, 2024.

Click here for Bio 

Click here for FAQ

Click here for Flyer

PACAC Scholarship

The Pennsylvania Association for College Admission Counseling offers the PACAC Scholarship to high school seniors graduating from PACAC member schools, with the goal of supporting Pennsylvania students in their post-secondary educational goals.

Selection Criteria:

• Academic performance, financial need & commitment to furthering post-secondary education

• Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0

• At least one member of the secondary school counseling office, or community-based organization, must be a current PACAC member. Students who work with an Independent Educational Consultant who holds PACAC membership may also apply.

Deadline to Apply is February 1, 2024

Click Here:  For More Information